20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California Spring 2022
Need a little getaway? Carlsbad, California is the perfect place for a weekend trip. We’ve put together our best lists of recommendations for the most notable 20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California. From sightseeing to restaurant recommendations, you’re sure to find something that’ll pique your fancy.
- Take a Stroll through Carlsbad Village – 20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California
Carlsbad “The Village by the Sea
This is what you see in the fairy-tale-like pictures of Carlsbad Village. Surrounded by old world type buildings like this Victorian style home. You can spend hours, a day or your whole trip discovering this quaint area. However, here is what we suggest you do:
- Stroll in the old European-like streets
- Enjoy a delicious cafe latte at the Carlsbad Chocolate Bar
- Shop in galleries on State Street and Carlsbad Blvd.
- Get a picture in front of the Twin Inns.
- Take a break of walking and enjoy lunch at Cicciotti’s Italian Restaurant.
- Check out the Antique store and see what gifts you can find.
- Take a Food Tour with Carlsbad Food Tours
Carlsbad Food Tours:
Where foodies and history enthusiasts unite. While you walk the village streets, your passionate, local tour guide recounts the vibrant history of this area. During this 3-hours guided walk through town, you stop in 6 different tasting locations, like in the original hotel “Los Diego’s”. There’s no better way to learn about a city’s heritage than to be guided by a local and to taste its delicious, home-grown foods. For more information:
Carlsbad Food Tours
- Chill out at a one of our relaxing outdoor spaces
Outdoor Seating Restaurants & Cafe’
Carlsbad has many outdoor ephemeral spaces created as a fun place for everyone. Our top choices this year are:
- Succulent Cafe is a gathering spot and a succulent garden. Relax while sipping local craft beer in the lounge chairs or come by on the weekends for live musical acts or entertainment. 505 Oak Ave, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Choice Juicery specializes in cold pressed juice, craft almond milks, super-food smoothies and smoothie bowls! – A cool place to hang out and try to figure out what words can be found in the Robot Mural Waterfall. 430 Carlsbad Village Dr, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Park 101 is Carlsbad’s unique answer to community dining, lounging, and sipping in style in the heart of the Village. It is a family friendly multi-level, plaza-style complex. 3040 Carlsbad Blvd, Carlsbad, CA 920
- Markhams other new venture in Carlsbad is called Crackheads, an all-day breakfast concept which serves up breakfast sandwiches, sushi burritos and mimosa. Crackhead’s location will be at the corner of State Street and Carlsbad Village Drive in the container box next to Choice Juicery.
- Discover the best new restaurants in town – 20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California
Cool Eateries in Town:
Carlsbad is a foodie town with some great restaurants calling Carlsbad home
- Cicciotti’s Trattoria is casual Italian dining cooked by a Published Author & Chef Gaetano Cicciotti. Cicciotti’s Trattoria serves classic Italian pasta like fettuccine Alfredo which you might find in Italian restaurants, but you won’t find Italian restaurants that cook fresh Italian food the way Gaetano Cicciotti does.
- The Goods new eats in Carlsbad, is an artisan doughnut bakery, that specializes in delicious doughnuts including Brown Butter, S’mores, Strawberry Cheesecake and Tahitian vanilla. The Barille family of Carlsbad has built a loyal following for the house-made cinnamon rolls at Carlsbad’s favorite breakfast place Cafe Topés. Now they’re hoping to do the same with doughnuts. The Goods is a hands-on family enterprise with Mom Jacquie coming up with the idea and Dad Joseph building it.
Chic New Dining with Drinking Oasis:
- Jeune et Jolie: Owner John Resnick and Chef Andrew Bachelier opened Jeune et Jolie, a nouvelle French restaurant just a block north of their first restaurant, Campfire, in Carlsbad Village. The name Jeune et Jolie come from their daughters, 4-year-old Elsie June Resnick and 15-month-old Margot Jolie Bachelier.
- Clara: A chic new dining and drinking oasis, craft cocktails in a lush and eclectic setting.
Clara’s executive chef is lauded San Diego Chef Alex Carballo (Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens, Moto Deli). Bartender Seth Marquez (Campfire, Sycamore Den) is behind Clara’s innovative beverage program.
- Campfire restaurant cooks virtually all of its dishes over an open flame. Campfire is a return to the origins of cooking and hospitality. A celebration of the spirit of our name in which we gather around a fire, create honest food, and share it with friends.
- Explore the area’s nightlife scene
300 Carlsbad Village Dr Ste 202, Carlsbad, CA 92008-2990
- Coyote Bar & Grill Carlsbad – combines a Southwestern theme, hip cuisine and live entertainment.
300 Carlsbad Village Dr., Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Alley – Dancing & cocktails seven nights a week until 2am! DJ, Karaoke & live band nights.
421 Grand Ave, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Barrel Republic – a self-pour beer bar in Carlsbad – 2961 State St, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Witch Creek Winery – San Diego’s oldest Urban Winery originally founded in 1993. 2906 Carlsbad Blvd, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Carruth’s Winery
- Take the car on a day trip to the Spa
Do you have a car and are wondering if there is anything else to see nearby Carlsbad? The answer is YES! Here are a few daytrips just a couple of minutes or hours out of town that you will very much enjoy!
- La Costa Omni Resort & Spa
- Park Hyatt Aviara Resort
- Visit the Carlsbad Art or Barrio Glassworks
- Rent a bike to explore further
Pack a lunch, rent a bike with pedegocarlsbad.com and head on the cycling paths on Carlsbad Blvd/Hwy 101/PCH. Are you ready for a whole new kind of fun? Pedego electric bikes go farther and faster, empowering you to see more in less time.
- Get in touch with nature at the Batiquitos Lagoon
- Have a drink on a terrace – 20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California
Step outside at Park 101 to enjoy the fresh air while sipping a watermelon mimosa.
- Via Vai– enjoy delicious authentic Italian pasta with a glass of wine of course. 2907 State St, Carlsbad, CA
- Campfire – Relax with one of Campfires specialty cocktails. 2725 State St, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Witch Creek Winery – Wine Tasting in the private patio area. 2906 Carlsbad Blvd, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Cool off at the beach on a hot day – 20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California
Carlsbad has 7 miles of beautiful beaches, come explore and find your perfect beach.
- Soak-up some Carlsbad Street art, history & architecture
You can learn all about art, history, architecture and more with short or long visits to the famous landmarks in town. Visit an Victorian home, a mineral spa, a surf museum, the Carlsbad barrio area and immerse yourself in local culture.
- Twin Inns
- Catnap Mural
- Lola’s Mexican Deli
- Carlsbad Mineral Spa
- Go to one of Carlsbad’s many events & festival
Carlsbad festivals. From beer to music festivals, and from comedy to historical fairs therefore Carlsbad should be one of your goes to festival towns. Here is a list of the most notable ones:
- Farmer’s Market – Every Wednesday’s 3-7pm
- Carlsbad Street Fair – May & Nov “World’s largest one day street fair”
- Art & Rhythm – Free Community Event
- Enjoy a Unique Shopping Experience – 20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California
- Carlsbad Premium Outlets features a collection of the finest brands for you, your family, and your home. Include a shopping stop during your next trip to the San Diego area.
- Arnelle’s – Women’s Clothing Shop – 2940 State St., Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Shoppes at Carlsbad – 2525 El Camino Real, Carlsbad, CA 92008-1204
- The Forum – 1923 Calle Barcelona, Carlsbad, CA 92009
- Village Fair Restaurants and Shops– 300 Carlsbad village Drive, #108, Carlsbad CA 92008
- Olde Ivy Antiques – 2928 State Street, Carlsbad, CA 92008
- Dine in an upscale Carlsbad restaurant – Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California
Carlsbad city has some amazing fine-dining cuisine. From traditional French style to locally sourced modern inspiration, you can splurge on a whole variety of great eats, though recently the restaurants are especially drawing from local food traditions. We recommend:
- Juenne et Jolie– Taste the flavors of France
- Paon– Innovation in plating using local cuisine and game.
- Clara – Chic Dining Craft Cocktails
- Campfire – New and delicious inspiring dishes cooked over a campfire
- West Seafood & Steakhouse– Fine dining, farm to table
- Cicciotti’s – Italian Cuisine
- Via Vai – A Taste of Italy
- Eat Grubby’s at 1 am
Once all the bars in Carlsbad close for the night, there’s one more thing you have to do. This is Carlsbad, after all, so stop by Senor Grubby’s for some late-night Al Pastor taco. The sports bar is a favorite with locals and open until 2am Friday-Saturday. Even the late-night partiers want that proper Carlsbad taco.
- Spend a day at the Leo Carrillo Historic Ranch in Carlsbad
Leo Carrillo Ranch Historic Park is a municipal park that sits in a 27-acre canyon and one of the best things to do in Carlsbad, California. Opened in 2003 and designated as a Historic National Landmark, the park is a former working ranch that was at one time owned by actor Leo Carrillo. In addition to the beautiful natural landscape, the park includes a reflecting pool, old windmills, adobe buildings, and other historic buildings. The park is home to many plants such as birds of paradise, bougainvillea, and agave as well as various kinds of trees. There are also many peacocks that walk around the park and add to the unique ambiance.
- Attend a Foodie Block party at the Carlsbad Farmer’s Market
Imagine a block party where most of the people attending are chefs, gourmet food makers, or hopeless foodies. Now imagine that these people are lined up all on one street, with their best selection of delicious local food and products. Well, that’s the Farmer’s Experience. The street is closed to cars, and State Street restaurants set up booths offering tasty treats paired with some musical and artistic selections. Click here to find out more.
- Take in a Hollywood style Musical – 20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California
New Village Arts is an award-winning professional theater in the heart of Carlsbad Village. Located in the historic Bauer Lumber Building, New Village Arts presents six main stage theater productions each year, ranging from classic musicals to modern favorites and exciting new works.
20: Take a Stroll on the Beach at Sunset – 20 Fun & Exciting Things to do in Carlsbad, California
Best Places to Sunset Watch in Carlsbad California are at the beach, the sun is at its best when setting in the Pacific Ocean. The contrast between the blues and greens of the water and the orange, yellow and reds of the sunset make a rainbow of colors.
Best Places to Watch Sunset in Carlsbad
For more things to do in San Diego, check out this video:
Written by Cherimarie Poulos founder/owner of Carlsbad Food Tours. Eat Like a Local!
We offer a 3 hour guided walking tour of the village featuring tastings from local eateries, and insights into Carlsbad’s art, history and architecture.
- Hungry for more information about top restaurants & activities in North County San Diego?
- Follow our blog:
Carlsbad Food Tours Blog
Check out some of our other articles:
#carlsbad #oceanside #vista #sanmarcos #sandiego #escondido #temecula #murrieta #encintas #delmar #solanabeach #carlsbadca #northcountysandiego #northcountysd #sandiegofoodie #carlsbadfoodie #carlsbadfoodtours #sandiegofoodtour #foodie